JOB POSTING: Climate Justice Field Coordinator
Neighbor to Neighbor is hiring a full-time Climate Justice Field Coordinator with a community organizing background to join our diverse, passionate leadership team.
About Neighbor to Neighbor
We are the “new majority:” people of color, immigrants, women, and the working class, on a path to liberation. Our statewide, membership organization is marching to put people and the planet before profit. We counter the fear that causes injustice by building power to transform the institutions that govern our lives. In an era of income inequality, environmental degradation, and racism, our chapters are confronting this triple crisis in Massachusetts. We are certain that a better world is possible and that we are the ones to build it. For more information, please visit www.n2nma.org and actionfund.n2nma.org.
After successfully completing a campaign to shut down a coal plant in Mt. Tom, Holyoke and transitioning the site to a solar field, Neighbor to Neighbor is expanding our climate justice work. We are on the brink of developing an integrated and state-wide climate justice program into our organizing model of going broad for big sate-wide wins and deep for base building and leadership development. Given our membership and our track record working on economic justice, Neighbor to Neighbor is well positioned to bring to the field of climate justice an economic and racial justice lens.
As members of the Green Justice Coalition and the Mass Power Forward Coalition, Neighbor to Neighbor currently is engaged in important legislative campaigns to advance renewable clean energy and codify environmental justice oversight into state law. To these campaigns, we desire to add grassroots power that will lift campaign demands through organizing and mobilizing for legislative grassroots advocacy, and local events and actions. In addition, we seek to go deeper in the three communities where we organize – Lynn, Holyoke and Springfield – to conduct surveys at the doors and focus groups to learn directly from our community what their most pressing issues are, how they understand climate change, and identify local environmental threats.
In partnership with the Executive Director, the Climate Justice Field Coordinator will build out Neighbor to Neighbor’s state-wide climate justice program. The vision is to establish a core group of Neighbor to Neighbor members to lead campaign planning and actions. The Climate Justice Field Coordinator will be able to travel and willing to spend at least three days/week in the field in Lynn, Holyoke and Springfield. Given that our entire organizing staff is Latino/a, our ideal candidate will have a racial justice analysis, experience working with or living in communities of color, and be ready to engage as a team player.
Key Job Responsibilities
- Strategy: Work with the Executive Director to articulate and implement an annual plan with clear outcomes, objectives, activities and timeline that will guarantee the establishment of a core group of 15 – 20 member leaders at Neighbor to Neighbor committed and devoted to advancing a climate justice agenda that integrates racial and economic justice. Work with Executive Director and the organizing team in developing and implementing a community climate justice survey; analyze results and integrate them into Neighbor to Neighbor’s climate justice program.
- Community Organizing and Coalition Building: Develop and execute canvassing plans in targeted neighborhoods in Lynn, Holyoke and Springfield; accompany canvassers in door knocking activities; organize public events and workshops; do at least five one-on-ones a week; facilitate member meetings and trainings. Must have a Driver’s License and be able and willing to regularly travel across the state. Represent Neighbor to Neighbor in the Green Justice Coalition, MA Power Forward Coalition and other state and national spaces.
- Management and Administration: Recruit, train and supervise a team of part-time canvassers at each chapter; keep track of progress towards program outcomes in N2N’s organizing database system; document program achievements through written reports, pictures and social media posts.
- Fundraising: Set an annual fundraising goal; manage individual donor portfolio of at least 30 donors for cultivation and solicitation; organize one grassroots fundraising event or house party; collaborate with Executive Director and Development Director in providing information for grant writing and reports.
- Community Organizing: Passion for economic, racial and environmental justice. Two or more years’ experience as a community organizer, including volunteer recruitment and supervision, canvassing, and meeting facilitation.
- Project Management: Experience in planning, leading, and managing organizing projects, including working with others to reach common goals and objectives. Ability to work independently and as a team player, to take initiative, and to manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously. Strong organizational and time management skills with exceptional attention to detail.
- Communications: Skilled in creating powerful, compelling written and oral communications for the campaign and for fundraising. Ability to convey complex ideas through brief, simple materials. Fluent in Spanish.
- Relationship Building: Skilled at establishing and cultivating strong relationships with a diverse range of people, across the organization and externally. High energy and passion for Neighbor to Neighbor’s mission. Flexible and adaptable style.
Compensation: Salary: $45 – 55 DOE. Benefits include fully paid health insurance coverage for individuals and families; paid holidays, sick time, and three weeks paid vacation; Flexible Spending Account, and disability.
To Apply: Email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject Climate Justice Field Coordinator. Applications will be considered as they arrive until position is filled.
Neighbor to Neighbor strongly encourages people of color and women to apply